For the last part of our trimester in studio we were to work with other students (or teacher in my case) to either work with them on assets for something of create something for them. The first one I did was a poster for the games department. As part of their project they completed games that were inspired by all different artists. I was to create a poster that showcased these artists works in a way that related to their project “Missile Command”.
It was hard at first trying to come to the terms of putting together all different artworks without it looking like a collage so when I was looking at inspiration I thought that the best way to show all these different artworks was through text. After gathering all of my inspiration and all of the artworks for the artists that I might want to use, I went straight to my sketchbook to sketch out all different ways I could put either the words “Missile Command” or “Artist Inspiration” onto a page.
After contacting the client we agreed on using text was the best way to communicate the ideas rather than putting them together like a collage. So I went ahead and tried out some of the ways of putting missile command on the page and also showed him what I was thinking of doing of showing the art through the text and also what I was thinking for the background.
After talking to the client, we agreed on a text layout and he really liked the idea I had for the background. Once I added all of the artworks to the text and then added the artists names to it this is what I had.
Then it was time for me to add it to the background. The original background I wanted to use didn’t really work well because it was a bit too busy and took too much focus away from the other art pieces so I decided to choose a different piece, but still from M.C. Escher.
I had to really think about which artist was going on which letter to balance out the colours a little bit throughout the whole thing. Once it was all together I was pretty happy with it but you couldn’t really see the text of the artists names, so I went ahead a took the artists names from the bigger text, and made it into a border around the side. I showed the client both of these and he liked the one with the text around the sides better. So after a few fix ups this was my final handover for this client.
For my second collaboration I did, I chose to redo one of the games students webpage design that he has his game featuring on. His game was based off of an artist names Sarah Morris. Her stuff is really geometric and bright so I tried to make my own version and interpretation of her work. I planned to create the banner, the background, and a display image but after creating the banner I thought that a background would be too much and would take away from the banner so I wanted to keep it plain. I had also planned to upload these onto his webpage for him so I could also change the font and the colours but there was a lack of communication so I wasn’t able to do this. This could have been avoided if I had of maybe grabbed some extra contact details off of him apart form just his email address.
I first showed him a little draft of what I was thinking for the banner and the colour pallet and he really liked the idea that I was heading towards, except he wanted the colour pallet changed a bit.
After changing the colour pallet and completing the design, keeping in mind to balance out the colours, I was really happy with how it turned out although I would have liked to add it to his page.